Wembley Stallions were down one score going into the second half and fought back to go in front in the third quarter. Cambridgeshire Cats took back the lead and intercepted a game winning touchdown pass to end the game at 9-14.

Both defences started well, keeping each other’s offences to short gains throughout the first quarter. The Stallions had the first shot at points as they attempted a 50-yard field goal, however the ball flew just beneath the bar to keep the scores at 0-0 at the start of the second quarter.

Defences continued to keep the offences in check, but a blocked punt put the Cats in excellent field position. After initially pushing Cambridgeshire back due to tackles from Jerome Klein and Martin Dwamena, the Cats found the end zone with a touchdown pass. The extras were added to put the away side into the lead at 0-7.

The Stallions moved the ball with runs by Geraldas Kastauna and Carl James, but a fumble on the snap in the red zone prevented Wembley responding. Cambridgeshire saw out the rest of the second quarter to go into the half a score up.

Wembley returned to the ground with Kastauna and James, but the Cats prevented the drive continuing and took over at midfield. A fumble on the hand off, gave Chris Middlemas the opportunity to pick and run for the line from 43-yards out. The away side were unable to stop him to give the Stallions a touchdown, the extras were blocked to put the score at 6-7.

The Cats passed and ran the ball into Wembley’s territory, pressure up the middle from Andis Mema and Sasha Hojat forced an inception pass caught by Glenn Trafford-Smith. The Stallions were unable to take advantage with an error on the snap, making the yardage unassailable. Wembley’s offence didn’t have to wait long for another chance, when Klein forced a fumble recovered by Hojat.

The Stallions moved the ball on the ground with Kastauna, Granit Uka and Emanuel Olagbaju, but the drive stalled so the field goal unit was sent on for a 36-yard attempt. Nick Glenday slotted through the kick to put Wembley into the lead at 9-7.

Cambridgeshire started moving the ball near halfway as time expired on the third quarter. Sacks from Mema and Duncan McAslan ended the drive and the Cats punted on fourth down. A fumble on the punt return recovered by the away side gifted Cambridgeshire a short field. A passing touchdown and the extras added put the away side back into the lead at 9-14.

Wembley had another chance to win the game as they moved the ball to just outside the red zone after catches by Glenday and Uka. However, the opportunity ended with an interception and the Cats iced the game to remain unbeaten.

Wembley are now sitting on a 4-4 record with a slim chance to make the playoffs, next up are old rivals the London Hornets. A must win game.